What is the EU?
The EU stands for European Union. EU is a unique economic and political partnership between 28 democratic European countries.
What are EU's aims?
Peace / Prosperity / Freedom
What results so far?
- Peace and Security
- economic growth
- Frontier-free travel and trade
- The euro (the single European currency)
- Safer food and a greener environment
- Better living standards in poorer regions
- Joint action on crime and terror
- Millions of opportunities to study abroad
- ... and much more besides.
How does the EU work?
EUTo make these things happen, EU countries set up bodies to run the EU and adopt its legislation.
The main ones are:
- European Parliament (representing the people of Europe)
- Council of the European Union (representing national governments)
- European Commission (representing the common EU interest)
- The Court of Justice of the European Communities